Saturday 9 August 2014

Wishing Anjali Menon Success Greater Than Bangalore Days...

Courtesy: muyals.com


Here I am trying to write about Anjali Menon’s latest flick, Bangalore Days; thinking what do I write? What is there that nobody knows? In fact, owing to the very many excuses that my life is tagged to at present, I am probably among the last of the malayalee crowd to have seen the movie. There are people who have called me, singing in their praises and enquiring why I haven’t written about it yet. And most of them were shocked to realize that I hadn’t even watched it.

Every dog has a day and last weekend my bone came by in the form of a movie ticket to watch the much celebrated Bangalore Days. I must say, the first impression was a ‘whoa!’ blended with some amount of shame. I am settled in Bangalore and I was surprised to notice that majority in the hall comprised of the local Kannada crowd. I think that explains both of the above expressions.

Now, coming back to what do I write; I think I’ll start with the director of the movie – Ms. Anjali Menon…

If somebody were to ask me if I knew who Ms. Anjali Menon was , I’d say, “Well, although I haven’t met her and do not know her personally, I know her through her movies and her interviews. And from what I have seen and heard of her, I definitely wish I knew her personally, because that is how warm she comes out to be.”

Anjali (if I may call you by your first name) – this one comes as a heart-felt opinion of your Bangalore Days. Ideally, I’d prefer doing this over a coffee table with propped up cushions; but since that’s not possible, I’m using my blog.

Honestly, Bangalore Days made me laugh and giggle. I did feel light and nice after seeing the movie. Even though I am part of a world of close-knit cousins, I got envious of the trio in your movie. The on-screen chemistry between them is awesome. In an interview with manorama online, I read about how you got Nazria, Dulqar and Nivin to spend time with each other long before the filming of the movie. That homework did really pay off. I did feel that Aju and Kuttan are the kind of brothers that any girl would be lucky to have. I am also glad that you chose portraying cousins, because there is no set expectation from cousins. It is a relationship that needs nurturing and I am aware that not everybody is lucky to have a strong cousin network.

Now let me tell you what I what I loved about the movie. Fahad has been on my fav list ever since he made a come back in Kerala Café. I am sure he has pulled off Shivdas according to your expectations. It was great to see Nitya Menen on screen after quite a while now. She is such a cool breeze. I loved Sarah too, especially her voice. It was light and silky and yet resonant enough for a radio jockey. I also liked the way you used a radio jockey to introduce Bangalore city and occasionally to propel the movie forward. According to me, that was a lovely idea and it blends well with Bangalore city. Dulqar, oh my God, is gifted with such a fantastic screen presence. Hope it remains that way. Although, I am almost partial towards Fahad, my eyes found its way to Dulqar in combination scenes! I firmly believe that my date also shares the same opinion. Although his eyes were on me throughout the movie, Dulqar's voice would make his head turn towards the screen. Yes, my two-year-old is a great Dulqar fan. I also heard that the entire bike idea was a change in the script. You would be pleased to hear that those bikes fetched Dulqar a huge amount of brownie points from my little boy. Needless to say, I am eternally grateful for those bikes.

I enjoy movies and when I come out happy, I feel nice. On our drive back home, there were a couple of Kuttan's expressions that made my friends and I to laugh out loud. We also talked about how ridiculous it was for people to think that this movie has anything to do with feminism.

Though we had conversations about the movie, I noticed however, that it didn't last long.

After the initial euphoria, when my head began gathering points to write out a review, I began catching certain loose ends that I wished were tied out. Now, I’m really missing the coffee table and the welcome distraction a few bites of goodies can offer…

I'd start by doing a character study…

Divya (Kunju), in my understanding is basically a nice girl personality. She is somebody who would churn it out too many times in her head before she hurts anyone. I can understand giving in to the idea of marriage; feeling excited about it clubbed with the fact that she’ll be in Bangalore, at regular intervals. However, with the limited outspokenness that she has, I wonder why she didn't make it clear that she wants to study post marriage, especially when she had the opportunity when she met Shivdas for the first time. OK, we’ll let that pass. They get married and she is dealing with someone who doesn't even bother to smile at her as much as he did when they first met – no conversations, no physical bonding; he doesn't even want her to cook for him or any of those chores for that matter. Acceptable. But, no silent tears? No effort from her end to talk this out? I fail to understand why she waited for him to leave the city, to hang out with her cousins. I gather, a practical approach would be that she would have kept seeking permission which gradually would have matured into announcements that she would be going out. Correct me if I am wrong; but in my opinion, she was intended to be portrayed as realistic but ends up being far too idealistic.

Kuttan, I perceive, is a typical character. Even though, the looks, talks, mind works and mannerisms suit the likes of a 10th standard kid, I accept that. There are people like that. I have met such people and know such people. Even if I wouldn't have, the world is full of different kinds of people. It’s fine to define a typical character. But, the antakshari part was way too much for me to gulp! No man of that age would speak of that as an achievement. Sarcasm or even a casual statement would have sufficed to give it a realistic tone, don’t you feel?

I am glad how things turned out eventually for Shivdas and Divya. But what kind of overwhelming moment would have pushed a guy like him towards the idea of getting into an arranged marriage? I would have understood a rebound love affair or an eventuality as a result of a one night stand - but an arranged marriage? I am not of the opinion that only girls end up getting pushed by the family. But in Shiva’s case, he’s not even living with his parents. They are not even anywhere in his near vicinity. Clubbed with that fact, a guy with his approach to life, would do great many things to ward off such an event, don’t you think? So eventually, even if things ended up this way, don’t you feel you owed the script a flash back of some form; if not initially, at least when talks of a break up were on the roll?

It was on purpose that I chose not to highlight Meenakshi. I don't know how many air hostesses would remember a passenger that had taken a flight in the past. The scenes around her, according to me, made absolutely no sense. If it were for the comedy in the flight, a cameo appearance was all that was required.

Also, why would a film maker like you, who believes in coming up with a solid story line, want to depend on clichés? Last minute realizations of the heart… an outspoken lady who refuses to take hints – the proposal has to come out in black and white. The usual mother hurdle; wouldn't the guy's complexes suffice? The accident during the race is another. I don’t intent telling that these are things that can’t happen. It’s all about moving from the good to the great movie cadre.

Anjali, my idea is not to spoil the party. I heard in one of your interviews about your dream to get to the zone of a great film maker. You certainly have great potential and as far as I understand, you are a positive human being - the right combination that the Malayalam film industry needs today. My hope is that you won’t fall prey into the comfort zone that hype creates. Challenge yourself to manicure and outdo each new movie from the previous ones.

I noticed the massive marketing that was done for Bangalore Days. It’s highly appreciative. My dream for you is for your films to gain popularity across states and oceans on the sheer strength of a flawless script, beautifully developed characters and fantastic performances. A point in your career when you device innovative marketing styles simply to give your movie wings.

As a closing note, if anything what I have written has made you picture me like an annoying critic with an evil caricatured face; smile, think of a light moment and re-read it like how Kuttan reads his father’s letter the second time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

 The flaws u have listed are obvious.. but who said we were looking for realism... It is ok to have an idealistic character.  The one thing about fahad falling in love with divyq too soon is obvious.. that's how men are..That's absolutely believable.. It's an out n out commercial film.. of course an airhostess will not remember d face of any one particular passenger... But that's d plot.. it is a possibility.. the antakshari bit too is the part of the humor she builds...

 Not defending. But these are my takes.

[21:50, 09/08/2014] Basreena: I like d movie in n out, you list a hundred other flaws n I ll hav counter arguments..For me, these criticism were flimsy.. cause other beautiful moments abt the film makes up for these n perfectly coverthese..However like usual love ur writing! Nothing beats that! I however din like the tone.. like addressing anjali, my dear..It seemed condescending..I would have liked it if u know the flaws were in ur favour.. It is very crucial to maintain decorum of writing.. no matter who you are addressing it to..the reader shud never once feel dismissed..The thing is everyone has different intonation when reading.. Mayb I emphasised on different words...

Unknown said...

Good job chechy.well written..even my initial impression on the movie was 'bhesh-bhesh' and it was indeed a colourful movie. Though, had a few of your similar thoughts...
i could go on writing about the movie and add or even duplicate your words and thoughts but rather, would like to say, you have once again done a brilliant job in lettering about the movie.
You have a way of keeping the reader in the zone, or to put in a better way, you make the reader relive those moments through your words. One can only fathom, what goes in your head.. lol... Keep up the good work.. and hope to read more of unique reviews and blogs... 

Unknown said...

Thank you Vani!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the feedback Reena. I appreciate it :-D

Post a Comment