Friday 22 August 2014

Back to School: The Arabic Classes

Courtesy: news.nick.com


Of all the teachers in school, the ones we maintained a lot of distance from were probably the Arabic teachers. Today, I understand that this was vice versa too, mainly because of the language barrier. Probably because of the same reason, Arabic teachers were looked up to with fear and reverence. Besides these emotions, memories around them were also fashion oriented. Among students, they were considered as teachers of class when it came to dressing up. The pearl studded abhayas, the tops, the skirts, the heels, the long and slim figures, and the flawless complexion, the light make up – they carried themselves amazingly well.

I personally loved my Arabic classes. The lessons were not more than a page or a page and a half and the grammar was easy. Above all, everything about the language was different. I am of the opinion that the Arabic alphabets are beautiful and artistic in nature and it felt unique writing something from right to left, rather than the other way round. When all the other classes demanded 200 page notebooks, Arabic classes demanded two notebooks, one a 400 page one for class work and homework and a 200 page one for dictations. I loved Arabic examinations too. The papers were quite a replica of your notebook. Sometimes the questions even came in the same order as it was in our notebook. Since I am also a fan of people who do things differently, I loved it when once; an Arabic teacher taught us how to sing ‘Sanahal wa yadami’ (forgive me if this is mondegreen) instead ‘Happy Birthday to you’. So, from that day on, all the birthday girls got two musical wishes! In fact, I was wishful that my birthday falls on a day when we had Arabic classes.

Most Arabic teachers were known for their punishments and prizes. While punishments were not unique to them, prizes definitely were! Many of our Arabic teachers declared surprise prizes for girls who scored the highest marks in the language in the final exams. I also remember once, when there were 5 of us who scored a full fifty on fifty and the teacher had just one story book to give out. Since she had already declared the gift, she couldn't alter that. So she took out four other items and kept them on the table, there were two fancy rulers and two timetable cards that looked awfully cute. She pulled out chits to give away the prizes. I do not know about the rest, but I kept my fingers crossed for either the ruler or the timetable card because a standard IV student would have read Hansel Gretel at least a few hundred times already. Destiny got me one of the timetable cards – a cartoon-studded one, which I preserved like a treasure for a very long time…

I have never got punished; at least not by Arabic teachers. This was definitely not because I was the perfect student; let’s say I was good at self help. Dictation tests used to keep happening once in two weeks or so. There was no set frequency for these. It was the teacher’s choice – at least that’s how we understood it. They used to let us know a day or two in advance and we came prepared. Prepared I always was, but there was something more that we needed to keep in mind when it came to Arabic dictation tests. Unlike other subjects, there was a dedicated book for dictation tests. I was, as most of you know, forgetful. As a result, the dictation book rarely made it to my school bag. When the teacher called out for students who had forgotten their dictation book, I used to keep rummaging my school bag wondering what to do. My self help pranks almost always won over Gandhian doctrines. The voice in my head whispered, “Any book would do since Arabic is written the other way round.” So, I used to give in to me inner call and turn around another 200 page notebook for the dictation test.

It was always a 10 on 10, but rarely on the right book. Yes, I used to religiously cut-paste these pages once I got back home…

There's another incident that I will never forget as long as I am in my right senses. This one’s more of a confession…

There was this teacher who had extraordinarily huge eyes. Today, I know that that was the effect of extremely thick glasses that she required. Back then, she held quite a scary reputation among students. "She's good but she can scold badly", was the general rumor. She wasn't our regular teacher. But that year (if I am not wrong, I believe this was in standard VIII), our gang decided to take up Arabic tuition, which was for one hour after school hours. Today, I don’t remember why we decided to go for tuition, but we did. Classes were good and as time passed I realized that for some reason unknown to me, she had taken a liking towards me. My peers considered me lucky. But, only I knew the truth. I definitely loved her too, however, that didn't stop me from being any less scared of her. My love for her reflected in my Arabic tuition book - they were extremely well kept.

But one day, forgetful that I was, I forgot to carry my Arabic tuition book. I was already scared what I would do, when she walked in and declared that she was ill and couldn't take class because of which she would correct our notebooks. We had to go to her in person one by one to get our notes corrected. (Gulp!) I felt like a rat in a trap, desperately trying to free itself. The envy of the peers, the extra liking she had for me, everything seemed to weigh far too much. I realized that I had no other choice but to go and confess. But the devil dressed up in self help reminded me of something my friend, N, who was one of her regular students, once told me. "You know what? Our Arabic teacher, that teacher who has those big eyes… she can’t see. She has big eyes because of big spectacles, but she can’t see." I believed those words superficially only because she was one of my closest friends. To this day, I can’t believe that I decided to take the risk pinning my hopes on her words.

I took another book, turned it around and scribbled all over the pages, making it look similar to Arabic. None of it was Arabic, it was no language; it was plain scribbles. I scribbled up until it was my turn. I decided that I would confess if she caught me. Till the time, I placed the book open in front of her, the voices in me debated. The devil won. I went with the lie. If the phrase, eyes popped out, can be literally true, mine should have popped out at that moment. She ticked off each page, continuously exclaiming what a good student I was!

Don’t ask me how she managed test papers or exam papers. May be the management knew and she was excused from such tasks. An array of maybes, oh my gods, thank gods slipped through my mind during those 5 minutes that I was standing next to her…

If you all do not believe this part of my post, I wouldn't be surprised. It took me a long time to gulp it myself. I remember having shared this incident only to N, because she knew that the teacher was low on vision. "I am sorry N, I didn't believe you completely when you told me. But it’s true – teacher can’t see”, I remember telling her. I have never bragged about this incident; never felt like it.

Dear Miss,
In my thoughts, I have always pictured coming to you in privacy to confess that I forgot my book that day. I am ashamed that I tricked you. My action was the outcome of a combination of cowardice and fears – fear of punishment; fear that I’d be a laughing stock, fear that I may lose the fondness you had for me.
My love for you grew into admiration after I realized that you are low on vision. Despite the handicap, you carried yourself so well. I still remember when you once walked in dressed up in all violet. What a beautiful skirt and top that was! Everything about you was beautiful except your eyes.
As an adult, I realize what a beautiful and powerful individual you were to carry on with life so boldly with those pair of eyes. They made you even more wonderful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment