Friday 10 June 2016

Movies That Touched My Heart: My Sister's Keeper

Image courtesy: movmag.com
Do a Google search on cancer survivors; the results are numerous. Do we check for the tragic stories? I don’t think so. It’s not that we don’t care; it’s just that we rightfully seek hope. But hope may not always take shape of how we know it to be. My Sister's Keeper is a verdict to that.

It’s amazing how we force ourselves to stay positive, be supportive and not lose hope - to motivate and help a loved one fight terminal illness. We need to get them to believe that it’s not the end of the road. No disputes – we should. However, sometimes we are so focused on keeping someone dear, with us that we forget to see the bigger picture. We take it for granted that the afflicted shares the same dream as ours. After all, who doesn't want to stay alive?

My Sister’s Keeper, an adaptation of the book by the same name by Jodi Picoult, relates the story of the Fitzgerald family and their journey through one of the most toughest of times - helping a member fight cancer. Director Nick Cassavetes has carefully sewn a bunch of moments together and wound them around a reel. The highlight is he has done the job without being preachy. Nick strikes the balance of capturing sorrow camouflaged in smiles - a rather difficult feat. This family drama adds a new dimension to the phrase - 'respect life'. 

I watched the movie wearing the cap of a sibling and a friend – I understood where the strength came from. I watched it with the heart of a mother –I could feel the turmoil, I sensed questions rising, I welled up and searched for strength. Most importantly, I understood that no mother can ever be fully understood.

If somebody told me this story before I watched the movie, I’d never imagine Cameron Diaz having anything to do in it. But, she is in it and she’s done a fabulous job. Every member of the cast and crew deserves a special applause. – yes, every one of them!

Be prepared to smile and cry. It’s intense but it carries a lot of warmth. If you haven’t already, watch My Sister’s Keeper.

To the makers and the cast – speechless and sincerely grateful for this truly brave attempt!

Don't Stop. Read More:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the book and loved it...Will try and watch the movie ...Rupa

Post a Comment