Thursday 5 June 2014

How Old Are You: Inspiring

Courtesy: nowrunning.com

Manju Warrier back on screen, director Roshan Andrews, writers Sanjay and Bobby – all this united with the teasers and trailers of the movie were reasons enough for me to book tickets for How Old Are You. I had my fingers crossed hoping that the movie wouldn't be a lazy attempt with the makers simply trusting the movie would do well since it was launching Manju back after 14 years. Like always, I entered the cinema hall hoping for the best.

Honestly, I was disappointed with the first half. Everybody was doing their part well but something was amiss. It lacked the ability to get me hooked to the movie. I was just watching. In my opinion, it should have focused on Nirupama's (enacted by Manju) life, her chores, her thoughts etc., rather than the careless attitude of government officers in general.

The second half, however, took me by surprise. It was a brilliant piece of work which dramatically changed my opinion about the movie. I smiled, I sobbed, I got excited - I understood Nirupama Rajeev.

Nirupama, a UD clerk at the Revenue Department, is a wife and a mother who leads a very normal life; a life as per the standards set by our society. There is a change in the mundane routine of Nirupama's life after the President of India visits her teenage daughter’s school. Her life takes a different route when her husband decides to migrate to Ireland with their daughter - leaving her behind.

Manju Warrier has given a scintillating performance as Nirupama Rajeev. I read that the story was not written with her in mind. I am glad however, that the movie finally was ultimately meant for her. She did a fabulous job. The slow transition from the bored Nirupama who simply got herself adapted to the circumstances that she is in to the high spirited lady that we see in the climax - wonderful performance!

Saying that, I am glad I don't have to review this movie saying, go watch it just for Manju. The movie is backed with good performances by all the other artists, especially Kunjacko Boban. During his second innings in the film industry, he has been quite good with the movies he chooses. He has also proved that he can successfully carry a movie on his shoulders. During this phase of his career, I am amazed that he took up the role of Rajeev Narayanan. After all, How Old Are You is a woman oriented movie. Kunjacko has delivered the role of a more or less chauvinist personality with great finesse. The balance he brings about is very appreciative. Rajeev Narayanan speaks volumes to the men of our society. He isn’t a complete chauvinist. He is an example that you don’t have to always be a chauvinist in the true sense to be a negative influence on the woman in your life.

Another aspect I liked about the movie is that it is not sex-biased. There are so many male characters in the movie that are instrumental towards Nirupama’s transition.

How Old Are You portrays beautifully how things fall in place once you get involved in something you like – something that is worthy of you. Age should be the last thing you should be bothered about when you get an opportunity to do something you believe you can.

Like I said before, the first half may be dull but thankfully, the cinema ends on a highly inspiring note. Go watch it!

You may also be interested in: Reminders from Nirupama Rajeev

0 comments:

Post a Comment