Monday 6 May 2013

Mammootty in 'Best Actor' : A Critical Casting Analysis

Mammootty as Mohan in Best Actor (2010). Image Courtesy: www.nowrunning.com
It was not until recently that I got to see the movie titled Best Actor which has Mammootty in the lead. He portrays the character of Mohan - a schoolteacher passionate about acting and aspiring to make a career in the movies. My intention here is not a movie review. Throughout the movie I had contradicting voices playing in the back of my head. Both voices were fighting over whether or not the lead role deserved Mammootty and/or vice-versa. So, here's taking you through my thoughts. Join me in eavesdropping on the conversation between the voices in my head...

Watching the scene where Mohan requests for a role from director Lal Jose.

Voice 1: Mammootty certainly deserves an applause for taking up this role. He’s doing a good job too...

Voice 2: You are right. Can't deny that. However, I kinda feel detached. Not sure why. I am just not feeling for the character - you know what I mean? I don't seem to be getting into the character's skin.

Voice 1: But the guy's doing such a good job - give him some credit.

Voice 2: I think it's his aura. We see or think Mammootty and we get this big star picture. He's doing it well but it doesn't quite sit well because at the back of our heads we feel… he is such a big star... what's he doing asking for roles?


Voice 1: I think you are being ridiculous. You being biased by any chance? Mohanlal did Udayanaannu Tharam - you didn't have a problem with that, did you?

Voice 2: Oh you are right. Good point! Mohanlal's also a big star and in that he portrayed the role of a person struggling to be a director… Nope never felt the same when I saw Udayanannu Tharam. In fact, I sighed with Udayan, got angry when he did, felt helpless with him and rejoiced at his victory. Then what may be the reason? I am certainly not biased. I love so many movies in which Mammootty was casted.

Voice 1: Relax gal! Let the movie go on. You are just judging too soon. May be you'll feel for Mohan too...

Voice 2: May be…

Watching the scene where Mohan's getting all that ‘gyan’ (knowledge) from Director Ranjith.

Voice 1: Ranjith's too preachy in this scene, ain't he?

Voice 2 (laughing out loud): This man's giving Mammootty gyan? He's casted him in many of his best movies? Imagine a Kaiyoppu, a Paleri Manikyam, Pranjiyettan and the Saint and then this gyan - takes my breath away (guffawing)

Voice 1: Oh c'mon grow up... Ranjith's talking to Mohan not to Mammootty.  You are misjudging.

Voice 2: Misjudging? I think I am being misled. I bet I even caught Ranjith trying hard not to give away a sly smile at the beginning of the scene.

Voice 1 (can't help grinning): Baah! You are nuts - all cracked up.

Watching Mammootty on the scooter in a green kurta.

Voice 1: Oh man - let the whole world debate on how old he is. He definitely has got the looks.

Voice 2: That's it! I think it's his appearance on screen. They should have toned down his complexion a bit. He looks too good looking for the role.

Voice 1 (annoyed): What's it with you today? Buddy, the guy is aspiring to be an actor and is trying very hard so it's justifiable that he keeps himself well. That's how aspiring actors are these days. Are you still in the 70s? Take a flight!

Voice 2 (still rationalising): That's not what I meant. Let me explain. He's a U P school teacher settled in a village. Not earning too much to buy the best sunscreens, does he? They could have given a realistic touch by toning down his complexion a bit. I am not saying he should look worn out - just not so perfect. It's not just the complexion. Look at his clothes. This green kurta looks like a Fabindia product. And my God! What's with that pair of sunglasses? It looks too expensive for a village school teacher, a responsible husband and father - all in one. See what I mean? It's kinda justifiable if he was a spendthrift or a guy with no responsibilities to shoulder.

Voice 1 (pondering for a while and then annoyed that may be the thought struck a chord): Humpf! Take a break woman - watch the movie for the fun of it, will ya?

Voice 2 (sigh): Ok…

Watching the scene where Mohan (Mammootty) meets Director Sreekumar (Sreenivasan) for the first time.

Voice 1: Look at that red jacket. Now that's an answer to your cynicism about his clothes.

Voice 2 giggles

Voice 1: Now what?

Voice 2: I can't help thinking that they portray him in bizarre clothes only in scenes where he goes to meet directors. There's a point in a way but... not really.

Voice 1: Awwww. Look at that scene. It’s taken so well. Touching!

Voice 2 (confused): Yea… no... I mean…

Voice 1: C'mon you can't be such a critic today…

Voice 2: It's executed well no doubt (Voice 1 smiles in
victory). It's just that… oh forget it. Maybe it's just that I've already heard and read that it's a good scene. I don't know... I think I'll watch it further before I decide.

Voice 1 (smiles): That's better!

Watching the scene in which Mohan is at the apartment with a bunch of young film makers.

Voice 1: Look at these guys! They look so thrilled that they get a chance to boss over a superstar for once... (laughs)

Voice 2 gives Voice 1 a 'gotcha' look

Voice 1 (frowning): What?!? It was just a joke. Don't be so picky.


Voice 2 (not taking eyes off the screen): Did I say anything at all?

Voice 1 grimaces and gets back to watching the movie.

Watching the scene where Mohan is being interviewed by a bunch of goons...

Voice 1: Look at him without an ounce of prejudice. Didn't he do it well?

Voice 2 is silent (all comments reserved) and stuck to the TV.

They both laugh at the comedies and are silent spectators to the unexpected twists that occur in Mohan's life.

Watching the scene with Mohan (Mammootty), Director Sreekumar (Sreenivasan) and Sreekumar's assistants. Towards the end of the scene…

Voice 1: Mamootty was amazing, wasn't he?

Voice 2: He's doing a good job. I am not denying that at all. But can you imagine him doing a bad job with this role ever? It is expected. He is a fine tuned actor. In the movie, each time he says that he's lost everything - I don't feel it weighing in me because of his super huge star image. I have great respect for Mammootty.  I can comprehend why he chose to do this one too. But the role just didn't merit him. Let's face it! He's too big for the role. Would you go to a surgeon when you have flu? Why would you want to?


Voice 1 (almost resigning): Ummm... guess you are right. An Indrajith could have done a great job. Or even better, a theatre artist could have done it and we would have swum with him to the depths of the character.

Voice 2: Finally you get it. That's exactly what I have been saying all this while. It has nothing to do with prejudice. I admire the guy's calibre. I don't even blame him for taking up the role. Martin Prakatt (the director) should have thought better – either with the way he built the character or with the casting.

The doorbell rings. My friend comes in and sees the credits rolling.

Friend: Which movie?
Me: Best Actor
Friend: Oh… How's it?
Me: It's... it's ok – good actually. They probably should have casted somebody else for the lead role instead of Mammootty...
Friend: Why? Hasn't he acted well?
Me: No it's not that. He's done a good job. Watch it and you'll know what I'm saying. :)





0 comments:

Post a Comment